MANHASSET HIGH SCHOOL COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAMS
PLEASE READ EVERYTHING ON THIS PAGE SO YOU DO NOT MISS IMPORTANT INFORMATION
CLASS OF 2022: THE DEADLINE FOR THE 15 REQUIRED HOURS OF SENIOR COMMUNITY SERVICE IS APRIL 25, 2022. VOLUNTEER HOURS MUST BE COMPLETED AND INFORMATION ENTERED AND APPROVED IN PASSPORT FOR GOOD. Students may begin senior community service starting June 26, 2021. See below for more details.
LINK TO VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: https://www.manhassetschools.org/Page/4072
Manhasset High School has 3 community service programs:
1. Senior Year Graduation Requirement (supervised by Mrs. Ronai in the Social Studies department)
2. President's Volunteer Service Award (supervised by Mrs. Ronai in the Social Studies department)
3. Service and Citizenship Award (supervised by the Counseling department)
DETAILS FOR THE THREE PROGRAMS ARE LISTED BELOW THE PASSPORT FOR GOOD INSTRUCTIONS
ALL COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS AND APPROVALS MUST BE COMPLETED VIA PASSPORT FOR GOOD (P4G)
PASSPORT FOR GOOD INFORMATION:
All students must review the account set-up instructions for submitting community service hours through the P4G platform before an account can be set up
P4G has a new web link unique to Manhasset High School!
Important Notes for Passport for Good:
- New Account Set-Up: Carefully review the ACCOUNT SET-UP INSTRUCTIONS posted above. Students must use their mufsd.org email address and use the invitation code included in the instructions to set up their Passport for Good accounts. If a non-school email address is used, student information will not get posted to the Manhasset High School account and cannot be recognized towards an award or graduation requirement.
- While setting up new accounts, students must "join groups" that they will be applying their community service hours to such as Service/Citizenship Award, President's Award and/or Senior Requirement. This step is very important to get proper credit for the volunteer hours.
- Students must print out the Supervisor Letter to give to adult supervisors from the non profit organizations they volunteer with to get the necessary contact/email information. This is the only way volunteer hours can be entered into Passport For Good and subsequently approved by the organizations. Click here for supervisor letter
- Students must be sure to apply their volunteer event hours to a specific award (Presidential and/or Service/Citizenship) and the senior graduation requirement. If this step is not completed, students will not receive credit for the award or senior graduation requirement! You may apply your hours to more than one award if applicable.
- Students are responsible to monitor their own Passport For Good accounts to check community service hours have been applied to the proper Award and/or Graduation Requirement AND to check if the adult supervisors from the organizations have approved (stamped) the community service hours. In addition, students must also monitor if the school has processed the follow-up approval indicating the hours have been accepted for the selected Award and/or Graduation Requirement.
- Current grade 8 students may begin entering community service hours in Passport for Good starting in January 2022 ONLY for the President's Award. The Service and Citizenship Award program begins in grade 9 so students can begin applying hours towards that award in the summer immediately preceeding freshman year.
For assistance with the Passport for Good Platform:
Contact Ms. Zaso in the Social Studies Computer Lab (room 058) for technical questions via email at Marie_Zaso@manhassetschools.org
There are many volunteer opportunities available. There are links on the left side of this page for Current Volunteer Opportunities and for Volunteer Organizations and Resources. In addition, you can find appropriate volunteer opportunities at the following student-managed database: http://communityserviceopp.wix.com/mhscommunityservice
1. Senior Year Graduation Requirement:
Community Service is a Manhasset High School graduation requirement. Students must meet the minimum 15 hour requirement for community service during their senior year in order to receive their diploma. Students can complete their hours over the summer at the end of junior year and/or during the senior school year with approved non-profit charitable organizations. All senior community service hours and related validation/approvals and reflections are due no later than April 25, 2022 for the Class of 2022. Please complete your hours before the deadline and enter into Passport for Good immediately upon completion. The approval process can take time!
All hours must get final approval from Mrs. Ronai to determine if it fulfills the community service graduation requirement. Only volunteer work with an appropriate non-profit charitable organization is acceptable to meet the community service graduation requirement.
For the Class of 2022:
- Seniors must submit their hours to the Senior Requirement group through Passport for Good (P4G).
- Essay Reflection (one paragraph) must be entered into P4G for each organization students volunteer with and include a description of organization, description of the specific volunteer work performed and if they would recommend this volunteer opportunity to other students.
For any questions concerning this important graduation requirement please contact Mrs. Margaret Ronai, District Coordinator of Social Studies at 267-7576 or via email at: margaret_ronai@ManhassetSchools.org
2. President's Volunteer Service Award:High School students are eligible to apply for this award. Students must track their volunteer hours each calendar year (Jan. 1-Dec. 31) in Passport for Good (P4G). Please review the ACCOUNT SET-UP INSTRUCTIONS posted above on how to log your hours in P4G. Grade 8 students may begin tracking their hours in passport for Good for this award beginning in January.
You must join one of the 2021 President's Award groups in P4G in order to submit hours for the 2021 award. The groups are organized by age. Note that if your birthday is July 1, 2005 or later you must join the "Teens-Age 13-15" group. Students with birthdays June 30, 2005 and earlier must join the "Young Adult-Age 16-19" group.
Beginning January 2022, students may start counting and entering hours for the 2022 President's Award and join the appropriate group based on their age. For 2022, note that if your birthday is July 1, 2006 or later you must join the "Teens-Age 13-15" group. Students with birthdays June 30, 2006 and earlier must join the "Young Adult-Age 16-19" group.To earn this award, students age 15 and younger must accumulate at least 50 hours for the year while students age 16 and older need a minimum of 100 hours per year. This outside award is administered by Points of Light.
Award Eligibility: The following are the eligibility requirements for each age group:
Teens: Age 11-15 (Note: we only certify hours for high school students as part of our high school community service program, however, current grade 8 students may begin tracking their hours in January of this school year)
Young Adults: Individual Age 16-25
Presidential Volunteer Service Award Criteria Bronze Level:
Teens: 50 to 74 hours
Young Adults: 100 to 174 hours
Presidential Volunteer Service Award Criteria Silver Level:
Teens: 75 to 99 hours
Young Adults: 175 to 249 hours
Presidential Volunteer Service Award Criteria Gold Level:
Teens: 100 hours or more
Young Adults: 250 hours or moreStudents must submit their 2021 hours using "Passport For Good." Final submission deadline for 2021 hours is January 31, 2022. Students must follow up with their supervisors to ensure all of their hours have been approved in P4G prior to this deadline. Awards will be presented in May 2022.3. Service and Citizenship AwardThis award, overseen by the Counseling department, is granted to seniors who have completed a minimum of 85 community service hours during grades 9-11. All of these hours must be with non-profit organizations.
Hours must be submitted using the Passport for Good platform. Please review the ACCOUNT SET-UP INSTRUCTIONS posted above on logging hours in Passport for Good.
You must join the Service and Citizenship group that corresponds to your graduating class in order to submit hours for this award.
If you submitted paper forms prior to April 2019 to the Counseling office, it will remain in your file and be counted towards this award. You do not need to enter the old hours into the P4G account. (You may want to confirm the paper forms are on file with the Counseling office.)
For assistance with the Passport for Good Platform:
Help Center: https://passport-for-good.elevio.help/en
Technical Support: Support@passportforgood.comContact Ms. Zaso for technical questions via email at Marie_Zaso@manhassetschools.orgCommunity Service Fair: Our next fair is scheduled for October 13, 2021, 10:00 am-1:00 pm in the High School main hallway. More information to follow.