The underlying philosophy of Computer instruction in Shelter Rock School is that students use the computer as a tool to support curriculum and learning. To achieve this we have identified objectives by grade level and coordinate instruction with classroom instruction. These objectives are continuously re-evaluated for appropriateness as technology changes and our students’ familiarity with the computer increases.
6th Grade Computer Technology Objectives:
- use multimedia applications
- improve keyboarding skills (touch typing)
- use spreadsheet for problem solving and recording, organizing and analyzing data
- use the computer as a tool to create and manipulate graphic images
- refine word processing skills
- develop understanding of file structure
- use online catalogs and Internet for research
- use peripherals such as scanners and digital cameras
To meet these objectives, we use a variety of tools including MS PowerPoint, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Publisher, MS Paint, Adobe PhotoShop, and Type to Learn. Students also use the Internet for research and for exploring content through interactive online applets.