Manhasset Public Schools
8000 - SUPPORT SERVICES
8635E1 PARENTS’ BILL OF RIGHTS FOR STUDENT DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY
Last Updated Date: 03/16/2023
Revisions History: 03/16/2023, 10/22/2020, 12/18/2014
Related Policies & Documents: 8635, 8635R
The Manhasset School District (the “District”), in recognition of the risk of identity theft and unwarranted invasion of privacy, affirms its commitment to safeguarding student personally identifiable information (PII) in educational records from unauthorized access or disclosure in accordance with State and Federal law. The District establishes the following Parental Bill of Rights:
- Student PII will be collected and disclosed only as necessary to achieve educational purposes in accordance with State and Federal Law.
- A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any marketing or commercial purposes by the district or any a third-party contractor. The District will not sell student personally identifiable information and will not release it for marketing or commercial purposes, other than directory information released by the district in accordance with District policy.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record (for more information about how to exercise this right, see Regulation 5500-R – Student Records).
- State and federal laws, such as NYS Education Law §2-d and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, protect the confidentiality of students’ personally identifiable information. Safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State Education Department is available for public review at http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security or by writing to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches and unauthorized disclosures of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to Manhasset Union Free School District, Attention: Data Protection Officer, 200 Memorial Place, Manhasset NY, 11030, 516-267-7533, DPO@manhassetschools.org. Complaints may also be filed directly to the New York State Education Department online at http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security, by mail to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234 or by email to email@example.com or by telephone at 518-474-0937.
- Parents have the right to be notified in accordance with applicable laws and regulations if a breach or unauthorized release of their student’s PII occurs.
- Parents can expect that educational agency workers who handle PII will receive annual training on applicable federal and state laws, regulations, educational agency’s policies and safeguards which will be in alignment with industry standards and best practices to protect PII.
- This Parents’ Bill of Rights will be included with every contract or other written agreement entered into by the District with a third-party contractor if the contractor will receive PII. The Bill of Rights will also be supplemented to include information about each contract or other written agreement that the District enters into with a third-party contractor receiving student data or teacher or principal data, including: the exclusive purpose(s) for which PII Data will be used; how the third-party contractor will ensure that the subcontractors or other authorized persons will abide by all applicable confidentiality, data protection and security requirements in state and federal law; the duration and date of expiration of the contract and what happens to PII Data upon the expiration of the contract; if and how the accuracy of PII Data collected can be challenged; where the student data or teacher of principal data will be stored, described in such a manner as to protect data security and the security protections taken to ensure such data will be protected and data security and privacy risks mitigated; and how PII Data will be protected using encryption while in motion and at rest.
- Parents can request information about third party contractors by contacting Manhasset Union Free School District, Attention: Data Protection Officer, 200 Memorial Place, Manhasset, NY 11030, 516-267-7526, DPO@manhassetschools.org or can access the information on the District website www.manhassetschools.org.
- This Parents’ Bill of Rights and supplemental information for any contract or other written agreement with third-party contractors will be posted on the District’s website at: www.manhassetschools.org.