- Manhasset Union Free School District
- Policy Home Page
- Policy Home Page
- Draft Policies Currently Under Review
- Series 0000: Philosophy
- Series 1000: Community Relations
- Series 2000: School Board Governance
- Series 3000: Administration
- Series 4000: Instruction
- Series 5000: Students
- Series 6000: Fiscal
- Series 7000: Facilities and Development
- Series 8000: Support Services
- Series 9000: Personnel
1530 - SMOKING, VAPING, AND OTHER TOBACCO USE ON DISTRICT PREMISES
1000 - COMMUNITY RELATIONS
1530 SMOKING, VAPING, AND OTHER TOBACCO USE ON DISTRICT PREMISES
Last Updated Date: 04/18/2023
Revisions History: 04/18/2023, 03/31/2015, 11/17/1995
Related Policies & Documents: 1500R, 5220, 5280R, 5300.25, 5300.30, 5300.40, 5300.70, 9320, 9610
Due to the health hazards associated with smoking, as part of an ongoing effort to create a healthy environment and in accordance with federal and state law, the Board of Education (the “Board”) prohibits students, staff and visitors from engaging in the following activities anywhere inside District buildings or outdoors on property owned by the District:
- Smoking (including but not limited to the burning of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, or the burning of any other matter or substance that contains tobacco, cannabis or cannabinoid hemp)
- Using electronic cigarette or e-cigarette, meaning an electronic device (including but not limited to e-pens, e-pipes, e-hookah, e-cigars, vaporizers, vapor pipes, vape pens or any other personal vaporizing device or any electronic cigarette as defined by Public Health Law § 1399-aa, and includes any refill, cartridge or other component used in such a device),
- Using spit tobacco, also known as smokeless, dip, chew, and snuff, or any other spit tobacco product in any form, and
- Using any tobacco or tobacco products, as defined by Public Health Law § 1399-aa.
- Ingesting cannabis or concentrated cannabis products (except for lawful medical cannabis use in compliance with state law and regulation)
- The distribution or sale of tobacco or tobacco products, including any smoking device, is prohibited on school property, grounds, and at any school-sponsored event or activity off campus.
- The distribution or sale of any vaping devices, electronic cigarettes, or electronic smoking devices, including related paraphernalia, is prohibited on school property, grounds, and at any school-sponsored event or activity off campus.
In accordance with state law, smoking or tobacco use and vaping is also prohibited within 100 feet of all school entrances, exits and outdoor areas, including public streets, sidewalks, or areas not owned by the District, except within a residence or within residential property boundaries. In addition:
- Students are not permitted to possess tobacco or tobacco products or vaping devices, electronic cigarettes, or electronic smoking devices, including related paraphernalia on District property, grounds, or at any District-sponsored event or activity, whether on or off campus.
- Tobacco or tobacco products or vape or vaping products advertising is prohibited on school property, grounds, and at any school-sponsored event or activity off campus, and in all school-sponsored publications.
- Students are prohibited from wearing or having in their possession tobacco promotional items or vaping promotional items, including clothing, bags, lighters, and other personal articles on school property, grounds, or at any school-sponsored event or activity off campus.
- School acceptance of gifts or funding from the tobacco industry is prohibited.
This restriction applies in all District buildings, on any District property, in any vehicles transporting students, or at any District-sponsored activities whether on or off campus, at any time, including non-school hours.
Instruction will be provided to students about the dangers of the illegal use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol and tobacco, and to discourage the use of such products will be included in the health education. Staff responsible for teaching tobacco use prevention will have adequate training and participate in ongoing professional development activities to effectively deliver the education program. All high school students will receive instruction on the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
The District's smoking/vaping policy will be prominently posted in each building at designated outdoor locations on District premises (e.g., athletic fields) and in all District vehicle. The Board designates the Superintendent or designee as agent responsible for informing individuals that they are in violation of Article 13-E of the Public Health Law and/or Section 409 of the Education Law and/or federal Pro-Children Acts of 1994 and 2001.
Persons in violation of this policy will be directed to cease their prohibited conduct immediately. Students may be subject to consequences outlined in the Code of Conduct. Staff may be subject to discipline as permitted by state law and their respective collective bargaining agreement. Visitors or contractors may be asked to leave school property and restrictions affecting future visits may be imposed.
« Back | Back To Policy Series | Print This Document | Print Entire Series