- Manhasset Union Free School District
- Policy Home Page
- Policy Home Page
- Policies Currently Under Review
- Latest Policy Revisions
- Series 0000: Philosophy
- Series 1000: Community Relations
- Series 2000: School Board Governance
- Series 3000: Administration
- Series 4000: Instruction
- Series 5000: Students
- Series 6000: Fiscal
- Series 7000: Facilities and Development
- Series 8000: Support Services
- Series 9000: Personnel
8635E1 - PARENTS’ BILL OF RIGHTS FOR STUDENT DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY
8000 - SUPPORT SERVICES
8635E1 PARENTS’ BILL OF RIGHTS FOR STUDENT DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY
Last Updated Date: 10/22/2020
Related Policies & Documents: 8635, 8635R, 8635E2, 8635E3
The Manhasset School District (the “District”), in recognition of the risk of identity theft and unwarranted invasion of privacy, affirms its commitment to safeguarding student personally identifiable information (PII) in educational records from unauthorized access or disclosure in accordance with State and Federal law. The District establishes the following parental bill of rights:
- Student PII will be collected and disclosed only as necessary to achieve educational purposes in accordance with State and Federal Law.
- A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any marketing or commercial purposes by the district or any a third-party contractor. The District will not sell student personally identifiable information and will not release it for marketing or commercial purposes, other than directory information released by the district in accordance with district policy.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record (for more information about how to exercise this right, see Regulation 5500-R – Student Records).
- State and federal laws, such as NYS Education Law §2-d and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, protect the confidentiality of students’ personally identifiable information. Safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State Education Department is available for public review at http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security or by writing to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches and unauthorized disclosures of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to Mike Bourque, District Data Protection Officer, Manhasset Union Free School District, 200 Memorial Place, Manhasset NY, 11030, 516-267-7526, Mike_Bourque@manhassetschools.org. Complaints may also be filed directly to the New York State Education Department online at http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security, by mail to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 518-474-0937.
- Parents have the right to be notified in accordance with applicable laws and regulations if a breach or unauthorized release of their student’s PII occurs.
- Parents can expect that educational agency workers who handle PII will receive annual training on applicable federal and state laws, regulations, educational agency’s policies and safeguards which will be in alignment with industry standards and best practices to protect PII.
- In the event that the District engages a third-party provider to deliver student educational services, the contractor or subcontractors will be obligated to adhere to State and Federal Laws to safeguard student PII. Parents can request information about third party contractors by contacting Mike Bourque, District Data Protection Officer, Manhasset Union Free School District, 200 Memorial Place, Manhasset, NY 11030, 516-267-7526, Mike_Bourque@manhassetschools.org or can access the information on the District website www.manhassetschools.org.